Friday, October 10, 2014

Evolution of Technology in the classroom....

Here's a video someone shared from a previous class. I love its animation and easy  narration.


Our school is getting ready to receive Chromebooks for each of our third graders. That's a huge deal! I've heard from many classmates about how their school has laptops or devices for each student, so, I'm excited and nervous about how this will turn out. Excited, because there are so many ideas and activities my team wants our students to do. Nervous to see how students will handle their own Chromebooks, and not knowing how it will impact class routines. It will definitely be a learning experience for me and the students. If anyone has helpful resources to share in regards to this Chromebooks or 1 to 1 classrooms, please share!

As I reflect back to the video, one thing that sticks in my mind is that even though the technology evolves, we are still teaching the SAME CONTENT. With newer technology, pedagogy changes, how we present the material and understanding learning styles are also considered during instruction. We know more about how students learn best, we use best practices in our classrooms. Technology complements our instruction. It doesn't solve how to teach. That's what I hope to remember when we get our Chromebooks. This device isn't' going to make my students "smarter" but rather, I have to come up with ways in which they can use their Chromebooks to learn and collaborate. Maybe someone should create another video... Evolution of teaching.

Fatima

2 comments:

  1. Fatima,
    Your comments about the stagnation of content are very intriguing. I wonder if we truly are teaching the same things. I remember being in chemistry in high school and saying to my parents, "They didn't even know this stuff when you were in school!" (Let's just say Sister Barbara's Chem class was rough for me!)
    As technology in our classrooms evolves, it seems that we need to teach more content in regards to accessing specific resources. I know that I have taken for granted what I though kids would know only to have to stop a lesson and walk them through the ancillary steps. In many ways this has become our content, and the topics that fill these frames are secondary.
    I am also wondering if this idea of teaching a thought framework with content that can ebb and flow is more a secondary concept. I'll be interested to see how your classroom shifts with this new tool! (I love our 1:1!!)
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fatima,

    Yay! I'm very excited for you. It seems like every classroom this year is getting Chromebooks. You mentioned that you are "nervous to see how students will handle their own Chromebooks, and not knowing how it will impact class routines." I think it's great that you are thinking about this because it gives you time to decide how to introduce procedures for their use. Speaking from my own experiences, my suggestion would be to go over your school technology use rules or make some if you don't have any school tech rules. You also might want to assign specific numbered laptops to each student and have a helper that is responsible for making sure they are all properly stored and plugged in at the end of class. Great point about technology not replacing teachers. There are tons of websites and information online, but it's up to the teacher to decide what will be most effective for his/her group of students.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete